Orrick opens in Boston with Top Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Team.
Facilitated the move of the market leading, four partner Data Privacy and Cybersecurity team, led by Doug Meal and Heather Sussman, from Ropes & Gray to Orrick, opening Orrick’s Boston office. Doug Meal is recognized by Chambers Global as “Band 1” and has been named a Law360 “MVP” for the past 6 years. Mr. Meal will serve as Global Co-Chair of Orrick’s Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Enforcement Team. Ms. Sussman, also recognized in Chambers, will serve as Co-Chair of the firm’s Data Privacy and Security Advisory practice and leader of the Boston office. Also joining the firm are Partners Seth Harrington and Michelle Visser. Ms. Visser will be resident in both Boston and San Francisco offices.
Highly regarded Labor group joins Reed Smith in San Francisco.
Four-attorney Labor & Employment team, led by partners Michele Haydel Gehrke and Anne Cherry Barnett, joins Reed Smith’s San Francisco office from Polsinelli. Ms. Haydel Gehrke formerly served as Polsinelli’s National Chair of the Traditional Labor Relations Practice. The team also includes two associates. This move was facilitated by Robert Clemons.
Reed Smith lands top-tier, 15-person Life Sciences team and opens Austin office.
A seven partner, multi-city team of elite life sciences and healthcare practitioners joins Reed Smith from Norton Rose Fulbright- Rick Robinson, former Global Head of Life Sciences and Healthcare at NRF, Lesley Reynolds, and Selina Coleman in Washington, D.C.; Jeff Layne and Ben Koplin in Austin, Texas; Cori Goldberg in New York and Sara Brinkmann in Houston. The team also includes a Counsel, six associates and one practice manager. Rick Robinson will serve as Reed Smith’s new Head of International Life Sciences Development.
Loeb & Loeb bolsters market leading national practice by adding elite Trust & Estates team from Sidley in Chicago.
Jordan Klein, formal global leader of Sidley’s private client practice, along with partners Jim Hitzeman, Kate O’Hagan Scallan, Camille Lu and Julie Olenn, move their group to Loeb & Loeb’s Chicago office. This team gives Loeb a significant presence in the Mid-West in one of their core practice areas and will be very involved in helping the firm expand their Chicago office.
Reed Smith brings on top Finance team in San Francisco.
Highly respected commercial finance attorneys, Bill Veatch and Catherine Young Hagerty, move their team from Morrison & Foerster to Reed Smith in San Francisco. Bill Veatch will take a leadership role in building out the firm’s West Coast finance capabilities.
“Best in Class” Antitrust team joins Paul Weiss in Washington, D.C.
In one of the biggest deals of 2016, Doug Memel facilitated the move of a high-powered, market leading antitrust team led by partners Charles F. (Rick) Rule, Jonathan S. Kanter, Joseph J. Bial and Andrew J. Forman from Cadwalader into the Washington, D.C. office of Paul Weiss. Rick Rule will serve as Co-Chair of the firm’s antitrust group.
Loeb & Loeb bolsters its national litigation practice with high-profile group in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
A significant bi-coastal litigation team , including California Lawyer Magazine CLAY award winning partners Marc Cohen and Steven Rosenthal, along with partner Tiffany Moseley and senior counsels J.D. Taliaferro and Alicia Clough move from Kaye Scholer to the Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. offices of Loeb & Loeb.
Winston greatly expands transactional capabilities with substantial group acquisition.
* A multidisciplinary group of 40+ attorneys, including 20 partners from Pillsbury, into the London, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. offices of Winston & Strawn. As a result of this acquisition, Winston & Strawn will open its first office in the Middle East. The group includes partners Peter Alfano, Mats Carlston, Jay Gould, James Kelly, Stephen Jurgenson, Scott Landau, Bart Pisella, Anthony Schouten, James Simpson, Jr., Jeffrey Stern, Michael Wu and Christopher Zochowski.
High level Life Sciences group joins Mintz in Washington, D.C.
* A five attorney Life Sciences Intellectual Property and Transactional group from Womble Carlyle, into the Washington, D.C. office of Mintz Levin. The team is led by Member, Dr. Chris Jeffers, and includes Counsels Dr. Lawrence “Butch” Carroll and Elizabeth Parsons, as well as associates Dr. Dana Mahadeo and John Forrest. Dr. Jeffers will take a leadership role in helping build Mintz Levin’s IP Practice in Washington, D.C.
Brown Rudnick expands to the West Coast by acquiring elite litigation boutique.
* Jointly brokered Brown Rudnick’s acquisition of Rus, Miliband & Smith, a very highly regarded Commercial Litigation and Bankruptcy boutique in Orange County. With this acquisition, Brown Rudnick, a Boston-based, AMLAW Top 200 firm, opened their first California office.
Bingham significantly grows its presence in New York and Washington, D.C. with the McKee Nelson merger.
* Bingham McCutchen’s acquisition of AMLAW Top 200 firm McKee Nelson, including 120 attorneys with top-tier practice expertise in Corporate Finance and Capital Markets, Tax Planning and Controversy, Financial Services and White Collar Litigation.
Brown Rudnick lures away White Collar/Government Enforcement powerhouse in Washington, D.C.
* White Collar Litigation and Government Enforcement partner, Stephen A. Best and his team, into the Washington, D.C. and New York offices of Brown Rudnick. Prior to joining Brown Rudnick, Mr. Best served as the Chair of Brownstein Hyatt’s White Collar Criminal Defense and Investigations Group. Before his tenure at Brownstein Hyatt, Mr. Best was Co-Chair of the Global White Collar and Government Investigations Group at Dewey LeBeouf.
Reed Smith starts its California Labor and Employment Practice with highly coveted group from Thelen.
* A nine attorney Labor and Employment group from Thelen into the Los Angeles and San Francisco offices of Reed Smith. The group is led by Linda Husar, former National Chair of Thelen’s Labor and Employment Practice and Thomas Hill, former Office-of-the-Chair and Managing Partner of Thelen’s L.A. office.
Akin Gump adds leading project finance and energy transactional partners in Los Angeles.
* Brought together an energy and project finance group led by partners Dino Barajas from Morgan Lewis and Elliot Hinds from Goodwin Procter to start Akin Gump’s project finance and renewable energy transactional practice on the West Coast.
*All starred placements made prior to Miles Partner Placement.